Thursday, March 20, 2008

Another vote by Forbes to dismantle the constitution

I continue to be astounded by those who vote for Forbes in my district (VA/4). He supports those who consider themselves above the law. He supports bills and policy that seek to dismantle much of the Bill of Rights in our Constitution. His most recent attempt was to vote against the FISA Act in the House because it did NOT include immunity for the wholesale wiretapping of millions of American citizen's phone and other communications. Luckily it passed but along party lines.

Here is the note I sent to his office:
The fourth amendment protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures. The wholesale wiretapping of millions of innocent American citizen's telephone and other communications by the telephone companies at the behest of the Bush Administration violates that right. I believe you should re-examine your position on telecom immunity and affirm your duty to protect and defend the constitution of the United States of America. Immunity effectively dismantles the checks and balances built into our constitution so carefully by our forefathers over 200 years ago. Let the courts decide on the legality of the wiretapping issue as our forefathers intended.

I had a conversation about 3 weeks ago with a coworker about this issue. His response that he didn't care that his conversations were listened to. Then I told him about several recent stories I had read about concerning misuses of personal information for vendettas and grudges. I believe I also told him about the 1000+ inappropriate requests for taps made by the FBI in the past few years. I don't know if that changed his mind, but the next day he was registering himself and his son to vote. I can only hope he decided to do so in defense of our constitution.